I Learned Not to Judge When I Give

Linda - memphis, Tennessee

I Learned Not to Judge When I Give

I believe we should not judge people because of their misfortunes. People that are homeless are criticized or judged wrongly because of what we think about them. We assume they are in that state or situation, because they are lazy, they’re drug addicts, or alcoholics. Those statements can be true or false. But majority of homeless people are mentally ill or like most of us living paycheck to paycheck; than they lose their jobs and can’t make ends meet. I learned a lesson 17 years ago that we should give to people that’s less fortunate than us and not judge. You can’t judge people by your emotions.

I remember this woman running to my car, while leaving my children medical center. She asked my friend and me for money to get her something to eat. We looked at her with doubt wanting to say no. Because, there were many more homeless people in that area; they were homeless and drinking alcohol out in public. We both assumed the same for her, she was a drunk or addict trying to get money for another high. She stated, “I’m so hungry I don’t have any money to buy me anything to eat.” We both gave her a few dollars. She thanked us quickly running from my car. We both agreed she would buy alcohol or drugs.

Later, that day when we finished our errands; we had to pass that same area. I stopped at the red light. Suddenly, I heard a voice yelling hey, hey! We looked around and there was the lady standing in front of the Vienna restaurant. She yelled, “I told you that I was hungry”, as if she heard what we were thinking. She was holding up a hamburger with a brown bag in her hand and a big smile. Our hearts dropped, we felt so bad; at the same time I wanted to cry with joy. I was happy because she really used the money to get something to eat.

We judged her just because of her environment but not her circumstances. On that day I learned a big lesson, give without judging. She taught me to give willing and cheerfully not only to homeless people but to anyone in need regardless of the circumstances. You never know who you are blessing or helping, it could be THE LORD!!