Godlessness and its Ethical Reaction

Joseph - Livermore, California

There is no testable evidence to support the claim that the Judeo-Christian God is real

because (number one) His primary function as a creator is to be the justification of physical

reality and (number two) His existence is based on faith and suspension of reason—just like every other deity of every culture around the world in the past and present time; so if one were to prove His existence using the scientific method, God would essentially burst into a puff of logic. The only way that any god can exist is metaphysically, which, by definition, transcends all cognitive perception; thus, God is real when granted existence as an interpretation of the human mind.

Yet taking one glimpse at this godforsaken planet besieges the viewer with horrible images of beheadings, roadside bombings, genital mutilation, corporate imperialism, apathetic consumerism, infinitely repeating and evolving, forever plunging this world into a labyrinthine pursuit for a better tomorrow that will never come.

Innumerous writers of deconstructive sensibility have taken this observation as evidence of their hypothesis—that all hypotheses are equally indiscernible because the only omniscient source from which to relay any meaning exists only in the subjective human psyche.

But I believe that evil can be felt if not reasoned. There is something carnal and disturbing in the frantic flailing of a little boy who struggles without hope to keep his head above the water, reaches out for anything to hold onto, screaming for his mother with a piercing wail that would never leave his lips. And the thrill, the beauty when he looks back at this terrifying moment and feels the hands of absolution around him, sees the indistinct shapes above the surface become clear, and takes his first breath of deliverance into a new world.

So be it. If the world is inherently without meaning, I will create my own value system to better coexist with mankind. If consciousness is but a box and reality is the product of a mesh of electrical impulses, I will behave like everything is real because it feels to me that it is. And if transcendence is merely a chemical reaction focused to a certain lobe of my brain, I will assume it is the providence of an omniscient source—because in a world where evil is without end, that’s really all we’ve got.

But I’ve never had to lose anyone. I’m haunted by death, but I’ve never even seen its face. I can only hope I will live up to these great expectations because they are abstract, and I am a human being. Everyday is a struggle between good and evil, and many of these choices are affected by subconscious imperfections, such as how much of a particular chemical is manufactured into my brain at a given time.

Yet as a human being, I can appreciate, and I can grow. Maybe that’s all anyone can ever hope for in this life: to recognize that loss of cognitive perception is only natural and to know, by the omniscience in the psyche from which virtue in absurdity is reflected, that the person, not the body, will appreciate, will grow, and transcend.