Nothing Goes As Planned

Sarah - Livonia, Michigan
Themes: change, family

There are many things in life that I believe in, but one thing that I do believe is that things never go as planned. I believe this because of one personal experience that changed my life completely. It was my senior year in high school and I was doing decent in school. I had a boyfriend named Josh who planed to move to Boston, Massachusetts with me to live with my aunt and go to college there. I thought that everything was great.

February was pretty much over and I still had no sign of a menstrual cycle. Both my boyfriend and I were only seventeen and at that point we had only been together for about nine months and I was worried about being pregnant. I didn’t know anything. All I knew was that this wasn’t my plans in life. I didn’t want kids until I was older, until I had completed high school and college, found the right guy and got married to him, but things never go as planned. I didn’t know what to do, or what was going to happen, all I knew was that I was going to have a baby. And again that wasn’t part of my plans.

The day that I had planned on telling my parents, it didn’t go as I planned. I went to school and I was called down to the counseling office. They had told me that they had heard a rumor about me being pregnant. They had told me that because I was only seventeen they had to tell my parents about the rumor. I had then began to cry. I had text my mom telling her that we needed to talk. She said that she had already heard and she just wanted to know if it was true. I told her yes. We were all scared. I made doctors appointments and went through it all. My boyfriend decided to stay by my side; we just had to tell his parents.

His mom was easy to tell. His dad on the other hand, we didn’t know how to tell him. It took us until I was about six months pregnant to tell him. Now I am nine months pregnant and I am due any day. My family is extremely excited (especially my mom) and so is his family. I am going to school hear in Michigan, at Schoolcraft and I love it. We could not hope for anything better to happen to us. All I can hope now is that my labor goes as planned but you never know, because nothing ever goes as planned or at least not in my life