I Believe Family Relationships are the Most Important

Jolie - Vancouver, Washington

How many close relationships have you had throughout your lifetime; or even in the last ten years? For me I’ve had many people come and go. Everyone who has been a close part of my life has influenced me and has helped shaped me into the person I am today. However those that have been in my life the longest; I’ve grown closest too, and value their relationship above all others. This is why I believe family is the most important relationships a person can ever have.

My family is my support system; I know that they will always be there for me. Metaphorically, they are my safety net. They will love me unconditionally no matter where I go or what I do in life. I’ve had best friends but, who hasn’t? I remember my best friend Rachel in 1st grade, she lived next door. We said we would be BFF, Best Friends forever! We did everything together, in fact I can’t remember a meal she wasn’t with me at during my elementary years. Then we moved away and the bond between us being best friends seemed as though we were sisters, even though we weren’t. To this day, I haven’t talked to her since 6th grade. For me, I’m relaxed to know that as I move away, go live on my own after high school, I have no fear of my family relationships moving away, or fall apart. Distance doesn’t break my family.

The opinions that matter most to me are those of my family; the people who I know care about me most. I would feel terrible for ever disappointing my family, yet, I love how family is not easy to disappoint. I know the only way I could ever disappoint my family is if I were doing something to harm myself, or others; and for that I am grateful for my family’s watchful correction.

I don’t believe family is only blood related. I have 3 sister-in-law’s, and somehow when they said “I do” at the alter, they became one of us. It is hard to explain, but I know no matter what happens, they are now and will always be my sisters. This wasn’t easy for me at first however; I was unaccepting, judgmental, and rude. When ever we were in the same room together, you could cut the tension with a knife. I would talk to everyone besides her, which doesn’t work in our close nit family. Because of me and my attitude, every family gathering was unconformable. My life somehow seemed more complicated and stressful. Simply my deciding to not work on my relationship with my sister-in-law I thought she would somehow disappear. But instead I learned to love her. I learn that though very different I could accept her, as my sister.

Through every good friend I’ve had, none can compare to my family. Even at a time in my life right now when I feel the need to pull away and become independent, the one relationship I know that will be secure, that I will never outgrow, is that of my family. My relationship with my family has taught me some of the greatest things. My parents are the hardest working, smartest people I know. My brother Reuben makes me proud, serving in the US Marine core; and all my other many brothers and sisters who live in various places in the US inspire me.