I Believe I am Naive

Jeff - Collinsville, Illinois

I believe the less naïve I become the more I realize how naïve I really use to be. Having or showing a lack of experience, judgment, or information is the broad definition of the word naïve, and up to a few years ago is exactly how you could describe me. Now that I am getting older I constantly look back and realize how much I really did not know or even understand about how the “Real World” worked, I even often asked myself “How I have I made it this far?” The one single factor that has helped me grow out of my naïve state has been having a full time job and making everyday decisions that not only affect me and the people I work with, but those decisions have real consequences that affect my job, my life, and the life of my fellow co-workers.

I have been working at my current job, commercial casework estimator, for nearly two years and throughout those years I have learned a variety of skills such as organization, selling basics, due process, and the interpretation of architectural drawings. The skill that I have had the most trouble with is trust, trust in what people say and why they say it. My first reaction was to not allow for anything, but that did not work because my bid would be too low. So, I then decided to allow for most if not all items that would make my bid higher, this of course did not work because my bid would be too large. After, two years and a lot of mistakes I am just now starting to realize the difficulty of this process. Being naïve would subsequently work half the time, because I would have enough items on my bid incorrect to get the job, but being able to understand why I got those particular jobs and understand that I was not just getting ‘lucky’ is the real lesson. After looking back and seeing some of the decisions I have made in the beginning I see that I didn’t think beyond of what I could hear. I heard one thing and was automatically ‘sold’.

When I was first offered this job, I did not understand how lucky I would be that a company would take a chance on someone with no experience and such little ingenuity. Over the past two years, at this company and in my personal life, I have learned more about life then I have learned in the first twenty-one years of my life. I learned to take things for what they are and not let my interpretation of what I think they might be or want them to be affect my judgment. The skills that I have learned over the past two years have given me the ability to realize just because I think something is right or wrong does not make them that way. The hardest part is realizing how little I did not know and how much I still need to learn.