Despite Our Differences

Tyler - Mascoutah, Illinois
Themes: love, prejudice

Have you ever had to choose a decision you disliked, despised, or frankly seemed disgusted with? We all have at one time or another subdued to the other over the preferred or the least to the better qualified. But have you ever been forced to make a decision about something that is personal? Like for instance about what clothes you can wear, how you should act, or maybe something even more personal like for instance what God you can pray to? How would you feel if someone made the decision about who you could love? Better yet, how would it make you feel if someone even suggested who you should marry or be with? This happened to my parents a lot when they were in high school because they came from a small south Texas town that did not agree with interracial couples. However, I found it funny people started questioning who I was dating based on a single year difference in age. From this, I came up with a belief that should be understood and respected by everybody. I believe that people everywhere should have the choice to be with who they want to be with so long as it is mutual.

I had my own experience with something similar to my parent’s situation. At first, the words people said constantly nagged at me. The “your not her type,” or the “you guys don’t really go together,” spun through my head like an annoying fruit fly refusing to die. However, over time, the voices went away for both me and my best friend, Maeve. Together, Maeve and I ignored what people said about our differences; we both share the belief that anyone could date or see who they want as long as both people agree. Her friends often told her she was an innocent choir teacher’s daughter with a good head and that I was older and very “reckless” and would hurt her in someway. At the same time, my friends and not-so-friends often made the sly remarks behind my back to each other. They would often call us “the churchy girl and her project,” because of a bad reputation I carried. Somewhere between the differences of childhood, family life, and philosophy, there was an undying feeling of friendship, security, and more importantly, love between the two of us. We knew we were different, but who really wants an exact reflection of themselves?

It has been a year and a half since I first started dating Maeve. Over time, there has been ups and downs just like every relationship. However, the love between us always remains strong and constantly growing despite what others have said about us. With this, I believe that sometimes the power of love can override whatever feelings of disapproval that other parties might show towards a couple. A couple, or even a friendship, must ignore outside prejudice views of others or they will fall to the ailments of society.