Angel - Chicago, Illinois

“Not all Friendships last a lifetime”

All while I was growing up I heard people say that friendships last a lifetime. In fact, the saying was always “boys come and go but a friendship can last a lifetime”. Well, I believe that just like boys can come and go so can friends, and they can hurt you more than you ever expected.

I have seen the closest friends belittle and trade on the other behind their back without any remorse for their feelings at all. For example, I have a sister who best friend spread a rumor about her at their school. She told everybody that my sister snuck out the house every night to see this boy that she was cheating on her boyfriend with, which wasn’t true at all. Of course it got back to her boyfriend and even our parents. Her so called best friend stayed in her face as if she didn’t do a thing. In fact she said that she would try and find out who started it all. Later on my sister’s boyfriend told her that it was in fact her best friend that lied about her.

See this can be because we as humans are quick to call a person a friend when we barely even know them and most of time, not all, they bring trouble. For example, my friend met this girl and they just clicked for some reason. They both liked to go out and they both were very secretive people so she quickly considered this girl her best friend. Well, months go by and the girl begins to act different. She no longer wanted to go out and often left my friend by herself at night. Then later on she found out that the girl was not a secretive person, she had told all of my friends business and lied and said that people already knew. Everything that was showed in the beginning of their friendship was a lie, which is the problem with quickly assuming someone is your friend.

However, short term friends are not the only ones who can hurt you; it’s the long term friends who leave you wounded for real. Take me for example; I had a friend who was my best friend for five years now and just recently changed up on me. She began to feel as though I was pushing her away but could not communicate this to me. In fact she told everybody around but me. Her excuse was that she didn’t know how to come to me, afraid of how I would react. This just proved to me that our friendship was not as close as I thought it was and even the longest friendships can end over something as basic as communication.

Now I know there are some friendships out there that can last and are true it’s just my experience that friends come and go. Friendships just like relationships can end and leave you wounded and hurt.