Reefer Madness

Brent - Edwardsville, Illinois

Reefer Madness

I believe Marijuana should be legalized. Many new drugs come out each year, which do the same thing T.H.C. could do. Medicinal cannabis can be gadministered for reasons ranging from migraines to cancer and H.I.V./A.I.D.S. While cannabis is by no means healthy to smoke many household medicines are destructive by their own means. Cancer is a devastating disease and just about every person knows someone that has this horrible disease.

My grandfather was a World War II veteran, also he had cancer. He was an extremely conservative minded person when it came to his choices of medication for his cancer. He went to chemo therapy but limited his own pill usage. As a medic in the army, he saw the horrible effect of the pain killers and also the addiction that came with the medicine. No one ever asked him about the use of cannabis as a medicine. I feel as though cannabis could have helped ease his pains and help him keep his appetite up. When a cancer patient uses marijuana not only does it help fight the pain, also helps the patient eat and keep the food down.

My aunt Judy also had cancer. She was a vibrant young woman and very open minded as well. Open mindedness is the key to help branch out your choice of treatments and medications. My aunt however chose to try unusual forms of medication. Along with Chemo therapy she medicinally used cannabis. While she did not smoke cannabis, she would orally ingest it. With the combination of her treatment and use of marijuana she was able to keep her hunger up and by taking vitamins she was able to keep her immune system up and running. Cancer weakens the immune system so boosting it often helps fight of cancer. Keeping a stress free environment and exercising is also a immense way to boost your immune system and help fight the common stereotypes of a cannabis user.

J.P. was young when he had cancer. He went through many hours of surgery to combat the malignant tumor on his face. Being so young and cannabis being illegal in the state of Illinois, his parents said no to the use of medical marijuana. However, he was prescribed marinol. Marinol is a pill; the ingredients are synthesized from tetra-hydro-cannbinol. T.H.C in small doses allows the user to experience a raise in appetite and a dulling of their pain. Since this is not raw cannabis the person who ingests marinol does not feel the same effects as someone using raw cannabis. Yet marinol was not the only medicine that helped J.P. overcome this cancer.

During the early 90’s cannabis has been used medicinally in the United States to treat minor to major ailments. Because the legality of medicinal cannabis is in question most people are scared to try this form of treatment.