Basketball Saved My Life

Drew - Bunker Hill, Illinois
Themes: sports

Basketball Saved My Life

I believe basketball saved my life by putting me in a position to become successful. During my junior high and high school years, the great game taught me many important lessons that carried over into success in the classroom, which until then was not evident. Basketball gave me passion that I had never felt before. It gave me the passion to succeed. It gave me the belief that if I work hard towards a goal, no goal is out of reach. Basketball gave me positive results. Success is contagious and suddenly other aspects of my life became infected. My grades improved due to my new outlook, and my passion for success in all aspects of my life was overwhelming. Although at that time I was unsure of what I wanted to do with my life, basketball had given me the tools to be successful. Had I not learned these tools and disciplines, I would have made bad choices that would have affected the rest of my life in a negative manner. Basketball saved my life.

Basketball gave me the opportunity to go to college. After I finished high school, I was faced with the question many young people are forced to deal with. What am I going to do now? Although I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, I knew that basketball had taught me lessons to become successful and had steered my life in the right direction. Fortunately for me, basketball continued to drive. The same hard work that had turned me into a good student also turned me into a good basketball player and I was given the opportunity to play at the collegiate level. Basketball allowed me to get my foot in the college door, and suddenly, not knowing what I wanted to do with my life was accepted, even embraced. In this new environment, I could explore all options and all careers, but most importantly, explore myself. Basketball gave me a fresh start. Basketball saved my life.

Without basketball, I would not be chasing my dreams of becoming a teacher and coach. Even though my playing days are over, basketball has put me in position where I have found my calling. My sole concentration is becoming a teacher and coach so I may instill the values basketball taught me to the youth of today. Basketball gave me direction. Basketball gave me inspiration. Basketball saved my life.

Basketball has been my flashlight all my life, guiding me through the darkness of doubt. Now there is a light in the distance, the light of my future that I never would have seen without the guidance of basketball. With every step I take, I grow closer to my dream and the light of my future grows stronger. Soon my flashlight will be used in a different direction, showing other young people the way. Soon I will be saying basketball can save your life.