Where will we be?

Nathaniel - Illinois

Where will we be?

This I believe. For hundreds of years, the population of the world has been depleting the earth’s resources. If something more is not done about it, before too long there will not be enough natural resources to supply the world’s growing needs. I believe that it is important to promote conservation.

There are many organizations that are trying to promote conservation. One of the organizations advocating for the cause is Ducks Unlimited. Ducks Unlimited is often associated with hunters and anglers, but they do more than just promote game sport. They use money from the membership fee to prevent wildlife habitats from being destroyed and tuned into people’s homes and businesses. They also restore some key areas back into its natural state so the wildlife can return and hopefully prevent the further decline of the various species of animals.

It is simple to do a few things where you live in order to pollute the earth less. Most power plants generate electricity by burning fossil fuels like coal and natural gas. During the combustion process, thousands of tons of carbon dioxide is released into the atmosphere causing heat to be trapped. The amount of fuel that needs to be burned can be reduced just by switching off the lights when no one is in the room. Computers and other large appliances continue to sap electricity even when they are turned off. By plugging the larger appliances into a power strip or surge protector and flipping the switch when they are not going to be used for extended periods of time, less electricity will be wasted. This in turn reduces the amount of pollutants released into the environment in its production.

Recycling can also be beneficial not only to the environment but also to you. It is possible for gardeners to cut down on the amount of backbreaking weeding and save a little money on expensive landscaping materials by using old newspapers and paper bags as mulch or as a base layer underneath their preferred types of mulch. Glass jars can be cleaned and used again to store food or other loose objects around the home. In a pinch, they can become cheap vases.

Earlier in the timeline of the human species, people lived off the land. They used almost every part of the plant or animal, whether it was for nourishment, shelter, or weaponry. It is possible to revert back to our roots and consume only what is necessary to survive and cutting down the waste products. In order for the idea to work, there needs to be cooperation from countries across the globe. Who knows if we will be able to find another habitable planet in the universe. For now we only have this one Earth, and we should begin taking larger steps to ensure that this planet remains habitable for thousands of years to come.