Jacob - Springdale, Arkansas

This I believe

Where is your “home”? I believe that my home is where my memories are. Where I made my first memory is where it will always stay.

I say this because when I was just 10 years old and in the 5th grade I found out in horrible way that my parents didn’t want to be together any more. They brought me out side on my front porch in Gentry. It had been a peaceful wonderful day until it happened. They told me the news; here came the stupid divorce.

and divorce papers I didn’t yet know about the papers but out on the porch that day, when they told me I thought they were joking. Between the choking, and laughing, I thought to myself, that isn’t anything to joke about. Then came the bawling outburst, I looked back at them, and all I saw was that “I’m so sorry” look that I usually give my dad before he gives me my punishment that my parents say I rightfully deserve, but yet I disagree.

The memories that I have had in Gentry, I will always remember them so deeply I can not forget them. I sometimes wonder, if I could forget them, how my life would have turned out. I remember an older man and also my neighbor, I called him Mr. Martin. I never knew his first name, but I remember helping him on his farm and visiting him on my bike after school. He had three large ponds on his property that he would keep stocked with fish that he would let me fish from. One day he asked me for a favor, he had asked me to pick up bailing wire form all of his land. I remember he paid me five dollars, the pay wasn’t much for all of that work I did but I enjoyed helping him out.

I also have a lot of memories with a variety of animals. One, pebbles, she was our goat. She wasn’t used to get goat milk from but only for a family pet. She was always fun to play and butt around with.

I know my life has changed a lot in the last few years but I’m lucky to have parents, that even though they are divorced, they are still friends and they get along so even though my dad does not live with me, he is still a big part of my life. I know both of my parents still love my dearly, but It is hard to not have memories in our lives since we have so much time to make them in. I believe that your home is really where your memories are. This I believe.