Take Pride In Your Heritage

Denise - Springdale Ar.
Themes: respect

I believe everyone should take pride in their heritage or race even if someone has a little bit of both. I have been made fun of for the reason I am half Mexican and half American. I don’t really know why these kinds of obstacles happen. Whenever my “multicultural” family celebrates holidays we don’t always do it traditionally. Although all my family isn’t half Mexican and half American, my family still appreciates how we celebrate our holidays.

For example whenever we have Independence Day for Mexico, my family doesn’t light fireworks like Americans do in the Fourth of July. Instead we have American dishes, for example we have bar-b-que, hamburgers, and macaroni and cheese. Whenever it is Fourth of July we cook Mexican delicacies like enchiladas con queso desecho, tamales, posole, arroz, huevos rancheros. My family gets questioned a lot over my families’ traditions.

Whenever it was my 11th birthday I invited all of my kindergarten companions from St. Rafael’s catholic school to my house for games and cake. Although catholic schools are relatively more popular within Mexicans there were a lot of Americans in my classroom. It was pretty uncommon. So the invitations were out by e-mail, my mom included to make sure my classmates were at home before 9 o’clock. Since my family is Mexican mixed up with American my house was going to smell really funny to some kids.

After my party food was done my mom called my friends to come inside our house and get ready to eat. Some of my friends called out loud “Mmmm it smells delicious” and complementing my moms cooking, while others were just standing right there at the door complaining how bad my moms cooking smelled or our house had smelled. Obviously you could tell who had manners and who didn’t.

That day was a day to remember for the rest of my life. Since my friends had offended my mom really bad I almost wanted to cry. Since some of my friends really liked the smell of my moms cooking they went ahead and ate without a complaint. Now the rest of my classmates started whining what they were going to eat. Of course since we were half Americans we had some bar-b-qued beans they were confirmed with that even that was the only real food they ate for the rest of the day. Through the day I kept asking my mom if she was offended by how my friends had treated her although it wasn’t really her fault, it was my friends’ parents fault for not teaching them a little bit of respect for other cultures.

Throughout my life I have experienced harsh and hurtful words from people who don’t except how my family lives. When I go home I leave my school feeling proud of my heritage, even if it is a little bit mixed up, I still love it and forever I will.