When Heroes Fall

Matthew - Eleva, Wisconsin
Themes: setbacks

The principal at your school, your English teacher, and your best friend all have something in common; they all have hardships or obstacles they have to overcome in their lives. Mine was my fathers imprisonment.

Growing up, my father was my role model. He taught me a lot of important things in my life, like how to be a hard worker and to have passion in what-ever I’m doing. He didn’t just teach me about work ethics; we also did lots of fun things together. For instance, we went fishing, went to a NASCAR race, and what I loved the most we just sat down and talked. I thought my dad was the perfect dad until one day he was gone.

It was a normal day for me, I went to school, and everything was fine until I got off the bus and walked in the house. I looked in the kitchen where my mom and my sisters were crying. I didn’t know what was going on. I asked my mom but she was so disturbed that she couldn’t. Talk the next thing I know, the cops were at my front door, handcuffing my dad and taking him away from me.

It wasn’t until a week before my father’s trial that I found out what he actually had done who he really was. On November 19th 2006, I found out that my father had molested my sister. The morning of his trial I had to look him in the eye, and I just stared him down like he was the dirt beneath my shoes. My father ended up going to prison for seven years.

I felt it was my responsibility to take control and be the man of the house. I was a stronghold for my mom and my sister to lean on. About a month after my father had been in prison, the stronghold broke. I was sick of supporting my mom and my sister I was depressed. I never talked to my friends I didn’t even talk to my own family. I hated everyone I loved. I blamed myself for what happened. I felt like I should have done something to protect my sister.

My mother finally sent me to see a counselor I only went to talk about what had happened. At first I hated it I just didn’t want to go all I could think was is sitting there lying down on a long couch moping about my problems, but it wasn’t like that at all. The counselor was a really down to earth person and he helped me understand that it wasn’t my fault and that there as nothing I could have done.

From this life altering experience I have learned that no matter what happens you can always move on with your life. You don’t have to live in the past if you have a bright future. You don’t have to blame yourself for what-ever goes o in your life. All you have to do is believe in yourself and pray for strength and you will succeed.