Which religion is correct?

Ryan - hillsboro, Missouri

All throughout the day, you interact with people who have different beliefs than you, but in almost every case, it goes unnoticed. Sometimes when people do notice, they don’t make a big enough deal about it to start something, but other times people will erupt into battle. One of the big differences is in religion. There are so many different religions that it wouldn’t be an easy task to say which religion is correct. Religion may be based more on what you personally believe, and that you are just with a group that hosts most of the same beliefs than anything.

I was born and raised into Catholicism. This includes all the holidays, special masses, and is supposed to include all the beliefs. I do believe in the majority of what is preached by the church, but some things just stand out, and I can’t agree with. One of those things is evolution, but that is a whole other topic. I still claim this religion as mine because the people share the majority of my beliefs, and let’s face it, I’m not going to try to make a new religion because of a few tiny details. Luckily many churches are growing less strict with the things they preach, and are considering taking in new ideas. People may eventually stop arguing who is wrong and who is right, and start to notice the similarities, not differences in their beliefs.

I have two neighbors who have different beliefs than I do. I have one neighbor who is a Baptist. Not just a normal Baptist, but some special, hardcore version. He says that he has a very intense religion, and that you must be chosen to be in this group of people. His religion preaches that others like Catholicism are too simple, and they go too easy on you. As much as I disagree with that view, I can live with it. I’m not going to start something over that. On the other hand, I don’t agree with the fact that you have to be “chosen” for his religion. Religion isn’t about being chosen to believe something. If you want to believe in something, then you do it, and the group should be glad to take you in. There should be no such thing as an exclusive religion.

People can’t exactly have definite evidence saying that their religion is right, or that your religion is wrong. They may have some evidence that supports it, but nothing concrete enough to say what is the right choice. So why try? People will try because they want to know that what they think is right, they want reassurance, even if that’s not what they think it is. With groups becoming more accepting with new generations that maybe someday people will join together to create one large, but diverse group.