Best Friends Forever

Carol - Springdale, Arkansas

I believe having a best friend is important in my life. By best friend I mean someone who is always there for me, someone who I can share my secrets and feelings with, and who I consider a sister.

I still remember the first time I met her, like it was just yesterday. On the first day of middle school I entered Mrs. Taldo’s class and laid my stuff by a girl I didn’t know. She gave me a look that shouted “Don’t sit there!”, I just figured her day wasn’t going well. About thirty minutes into my first block class my soon to be best friend walked in timidly with her sister, while the rest of the class was working on ‘All about Me’ projects. She sat next to me on the floor and we started talking and talking. Through out the year a lot of people wondered how we could be such great friends in such little time. Ever since the first day of the 6th grade I’ve considered Ana Flores as my best friend.

It’s been two years now that we’ve been best friends, and each year it seems we get closer and closer! We were both scared about going to junior high, because we thought that one of us might start hanging out with somebody else, and forget about one another, but so far that hasn’t been a problem. Although we don’t have any classes together we always get a minute or two in between classes to catch up on the latest news. If we ever drift apart there will have to be a very good reason behind it.

Many shows I’ve watched send out the message that sharing secrets or feelings with a friend can lead to everybody knowing something only a friend was suppose to know. This can obviously lead to embarrassment, but for the whole time Ana and I have shared our secrets we’ve kept our mouths shut like a vault. If I have anything I want to let out, Ana is one of the first people I tell.

Ana is like a long lost sister to me that I don’t want to loose again. We are always caught in the same situations. Just a few days ago I got in trouble for talking too much on the phone and so did she. We got the same rule that we couldn’t be on the phone past nine thirty, which was a little weird. I’ve never thought of any other friend like a sister. I talk about her so much with my sisters, and at times I think they get somewhat jealous.

Obviously, I believe having a best friend like the one I was blessed with is important. We’re not perfect, we have small fights, we get on each other’s nerves sometimes, but that’s why we’re like sisters, even if it’s not through blood.