Greeting Someone can Change their Lives

Joo - Springdale, Arkansas

I believe that greeting someone can change their lives. Some people are lonely and not noticed by people. Saying “hi” or “what’s up” can make their day better or brighter. And it works; trust me.

The first time I did this was when I was in the 4th grade. It was a friendless and hopeless girl in my class. She was just a normal girl but nobody paid any attention to her in class. So I did the right thing and started a conversation and we chilled. She was an okay girl; it’s just that people judged her because how she talked and what she wore to school every day.

For the next year, she became my best friend. So pretty much, we got to do awesome events together. She was in my class for the whole year and we got along well. It just hit me that someone I didn’t know really had something in common with me. I got to know her really well and not just that I changed her life, but she changed my life too.

Another time was when I was in Arizona in 5th grade. There was some geek kid that no one liked and no one talked to. Everyone just pretty much ignored him and just didn’t talk to him because he was a big geek. Every time people tried to talk to him, he would start a conversation about polishing their glasses, trading cards, and action figures. So pretty much, no one liked him. One day my mind thought “hey what if I said hi to the kid? I mean what can it do to me? No. That kid is just too weird. I can’t look like this in school!”

The next day I decided on if I should or if I shouldn’t. I asked my mom if I should and she said “Sure why not?” I said hi. But to tell the truth, it wasn’t easy. It was St. Patrick’s Day and the kid had decided to “show off his greenlyness”. So he was dressed in all green and looked like a freak. I came up to him (so embarrassed) and said hi (for the love of the Lord). He said hi and tried to come up with a conversation about his action figure so I left, thinking that I had done a great job. For the rest of the year the geek had more friends, no more action figures, and got a better life in 5th grade.

So those people had their lives changed; while mine was changed as well. People got to know the kids, which I said hi to, better and started a new friendship in their lives. I hope that someday people can be noticed more and be greatly confident in their years. So I believe that greeting someone can change their lives.