The Importance of Friendship

Rebecca - Springdale, Arkansas

When I wake up in the morning the first thing I want to do is see my friends. That single feeling drives me to get out of bed and get ready for a long day in school. In class the very thought of seeing them at lunch helps me get through that class. My friends have helped me through my life; I don’t know what I would do without them.

One of the many things I have in my life is friends. They are very important to me and they live all over the United States. One thing I could say when I was younger that not many other people could was that I moved 11 times. Having that experience gave me the opportunity to make new friends. I still remember my first day of preschool. I met a girl, blond hair, blue eyes, perfect pink dress, hair in cute little pigtails tied up with bows. All I wanted to do that day was try to be her friend. This was a very common feeling on the first day of pre-k. No one knew anyone, and if they did they were lucky. I was very lucky to make a friend that first day. Not many people did. It all happened after free play; we were cleaning up the blocks before we went outside. That pretty girl, whose name I found out to be Kailee, and I wouldn’t let anyone help us clean them up, they had to be put back in a certain way. At least that’s what we thought. So the rest of the class waited and waited, we finally finished and got to go outside. That was the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Four years later, my family and I move to Kansas. That was the saddest day of my life. I moved away from everything I knew. I had to start over, a new house, new people, and unfortunately a new school. I was so scared on the first day, the way many kids are, except for the fact that these kids had known each other since pre-k. There was one friend, whom I met in my neighborhood, Hannah. Her parents were divorced so I only got to see her every other weekend and on some holidays. She didn’t go to my school, but we were still best friends.

Four years after that, my family and I moved here, to Arkansas. I made some friends in the last fours weeks of 4th grade, but not many. In 5th grade I made a lot of friends. But in 6th grade I met two friends that I’ve kept. They have been there for me through everything. They are my best friends.

Obviously, I have many friends all around the U.S. Without my friends I don’t know what I would’ve done about all the moves I’ve had to make. Friends are very important to me. I believe in the importance of friendship.