Jessie - Springdale, Arkansas

The thing I believe in most is the power of a good friend. What’s a good friend? A good friend is the one that’s always there for someone, no matter what. Everyone has one, and everyone loves that one friend best. People may have more than one, but I have exactly one BEST friend. And I love Ashley the best out of all my friends; sure someone may think that friends should get equal amounts of love in your heart. But not Ashley, she’s better than that.

She’s been there since the first day I met her in sixth grade, I was the new kid with no friends, and Ashley was brave, and asked the new girl to hang with her and her friends. Sure, I didn’t know her, but I could tell we would be best friends from there on out. And what do you know? Ashley is still my best friend. Obviously, with every great friendship there comes a time when you fight, argue, or even throw a few punches. Luckily, we haven’t gotten in a fist fight; ha-ha. But whatever the problem, we always seem to get even closer after we work it out.

There have been many specific times when Ashley was there for me. The one that sticks out the most to me was actually a few weekends ago. My parents were going out of town to take my brother to look at a college in Texas. I of course didn’t want to go, and if I stayed home I would have had to stay with my boring grandparents. Who wants to do that? So Ashley being the best friend that she is asked if I wanted to stay at her house while my parents were gone. I graciously accepted the invitation and quickly okayed it with my parents.

When I have a good friend I trust them, I rely on them, and I even want to tell them everything. I know with me and Ashley’s relationship we can be together for a whole weekend, but the minute I get home I call her and talk to her on the phone for three hours. Now that’s what I would call a good friend. The power of a good friend makes me feel less self-conscious, less alone. I could consider really anyone a good friend; all they would have to do is be there for someone. For example, say your car broke down, and you didn’t want to have to get a tow truck. A good friend would be there in ten minutes with a couple gallons of fuel and a smile on their face. Or, say someone close to you dies, once you tell your best friend what’s happened she’s at your house in five minutes with a gallon of ice-cream and your favorite movie.

The power of a good friend can change everything, and nothing. You just have to know where to look. Have a good friend? You’re set for life.