Nurising to Me

sarah - auburn, Maine

I believe that as a nurse it is my duty to respect my life as well as others and care for my patients to the best of my ability.

As a young girl I always loved helping and giving to others. While I was in middle school I used to go and read books to kindergarteners. They loved it and I enjoyed doing it. It made me feel good. Then, as a high school student, I thought it would be great to join the Big Brothers Big Sisters program and be a role model for a younger child. I believe that they are just as important as myself and need someone to look up to . I was in the program for two years with the same little girl. By the end of my senior year I felt as if she was a little sister to me and I knew that she looked up to me as her big sister.

I believe that helping others is one of the greatest contributions you can give to the world, which is why nursing is the right profession for me. Nurses interact face to face with patients and do not take life for granted. They are there to care and heal the sick and maybe make a friend or two.

Never question if nurses are to caring or helpful. Everyone needs help at some point in there life, but our patients need it everyday. Appreciate and respect their lives just as much as you would yours or a good friends. They are people to. If you cannot follow this then I think you are not completely ready to take on the role of a nurse.

I will do anything that I can to follow my belief and complete it with my best efforts. This belief will apply for all of my patients or maybe even with their families too. Interacting with families shows the patient that you respect them and want to make sure they are going to get well. I will do this by interaction. It may make patients feel more comfortable depending on the situation.

This is my belief and it will continue to follow me through my nursing career as well as through my own life experiences.