People Should do what they Love to Do

Haley - Springdale, Arkansas

This I believe

I believe people should do what they love to do. It’s very important for people to enjoy what they do. If people don’t have fun and enjoy it, then there is no point in doing it. No matter what it is people are doing, they should always like it.

I play basketball and volleyball for my school, and I have never enjoyed playing sports as much as I do now. My coach is always telling my team to play with our heart and now I fully understand what he means. Obviously we all enjoy playing the game of basketball and that’s why we are on the team, but our coach wants us to love the game so we will play better. I have found if I don’t like doing something, I will only push myself half way when I do it. When we work out in basketball, nobody likes doing the workouts, but we all work our hardest because we know it is getting us better for the sport we love to play. If people love to do something, they will normally have more confidence in themselves when they do what they love to do.

I just joined the school volleyball team this year, and this is my first year to ever play the sport. I mainly tried out because my mom played when she was my age and because a lot of my friends were trying out. I didn’t know if I would be any good or if I would make the team, I just thought I would give it a try. I never thought I could like volleyball as much as I do basketball, but now I love it just as much. If I did not have any fun playing basketball or volleyball, there would definitely be no point in playing the sports. Both of the sports interfere with school work, but there is no way I’m going to quit either sport because I love them both.

My parents helped me a lot on choosing what I love to do and what I don’t love to do. I started taking karate lessons when I was six, and at first it was fun, but then I lost interest in it. My parents don’t believe in quitting, but they do believe in me doing what I love to do, so they let me stop going to karate. This just goes to show that if people don’t like doing something, it’s normally okay to stop doing it.

During one of my volleyball games this year, I made a great play and scored a point for our team. I realized how much I loved to play the game at that moment. I also realized if I didn’t love the game, I most likely would not be playing it. I went into try outs not knowing a single thing about volleyball, and ended up loving the game with a passion.

I believe people should do what they love to do.