I believe i shouldnt take prosperity, family or people for granted because one day it or they might be gone

Jordan - springdale, Arkansas

“This I Believe”

Have you ever taken something for granted and then one day POOF it’s gone! Well that’s what happened to me. Kids say all the time “oh I hate my parents, they are so annoying, I can’t stand them, and they treat me like a two year old”. I used to be one of those kids venting to all my friends how unreasonable my mother was being until one day no longer did I have a mother to nag me about cleaning my room, doing my homework or washing dishes. It sounded like heaven to have freedom till I had too much of it.

I lost my mother August of 2005, I remember watching her get on a bus at three o’clock in the morning waving goodbye. The hardest thing was knowing I wouldn’t see my mother for another four years. She isn’t gone forever but now I feel awful for every disrespectful word I ever said, how I didn’t obey her sometimes and how I would beg her to go somewhere when she was exhausted after work. Now I look back and think how I could take advantage of someone who meant so much to me, of someone who did so much for me. I look back now and all I can say is take a look around, many people take advantage of someone or something that may be hard to realize now but it can be very hard to live without.

My mother is not all I have taken advantage of over the years. Also I took advantage of the company of having an adorable little brother, Blake. At the time, Blake was just a little brother who bugs me to death and always wants to play when I want to do otherwise. Little did I know divorce would take my stepbrother away for good. Blake used to come in my room every night and fall asleep with a crayon in his hand while watching Scooby Doo 2. A long time ago, falling to sleep with the movie playing for the hundredth time was the most aggravating thing in the world, now I regret complaining about something as small as a movie. Losing my brother has opened my eyes to just how much I take for granted such as a home, family, clothing, food and even such wonderful friends who support me day and night.

An example of my belief would be when I went on a mission trip with my youth group to Des Moines, Iowa. After the long drive to Iowa we visited what we call tent cities. A tent city is a neighborhood of tents in random places along river banks, forest, or hidden in a college of trees. I began to realize even though these people have barely anything they are still happy while I have lots and I still want more.

I believe I shouldn’t take prosperity, family or people for granted because one day it or they might be gone.