Dance Like No One is Watching

Melody - springdale, Arkansas

I believe to dance like no one is watching. Dance is very important in my life. It’s what got me to become me. Dance has been the thing that made me crack out of my shell and show people the real, loud, outgoing me.

When I was little I was kind of a shy kid. Not around my friends or family, but around anyone I didn’t know. But when I was five I started dance classes at Rhythm and Shoes Dance. Every Wednesday night at 6 o’clock, I would go to my class and learn little dances. I didn’t talk much to the other girls, because I didn’t know them. There was only one girl I talked to, her name was Emily. She was shy kind of like me. Week by week we learned more and me and Emily only talked to each other.

Then the recital night came. The night where everyone’s family or friends came to watch their sons or daughters dance on that big black stage in front of hundreds of people. Classes of dancers pasted and it was soon my classes turn to go on that stage and show everyone our dances we have been working on for almost a year! We slowly walked out and then the curtains opened, and the music started. Our dance teachers where on the side behind the curtains doing the dance in case we forgot a dance move and we could just look over and see what to do. I started the dance my teacher had taught me and that was the very moment I realized, I’m a good dancer. I didn’t look at my teacher once!

The next year I took another class, a harder one, and I talked to almost my entire class every week.

Year after year I danced and I began to become more outgoing and became myself! I would dance randomly because I felt good about myself. I didn’t care anymore about what people thought about my dancing. It was my passion and that’s all I cared about.

It wasn’t just at my dance classes where I was becoming myself. It was at school, church, or anywhere I was at anytime.

I didn’t care who was around me or where I was. I would dance and I didn’t care who saw me. Dancing made me feel good and I loved doing it.

Dancing for me isn’t just a fun activity to do in my spare time, it is what has made my life MY life. Dancing as though no one is watching has made me, ME.

My friends love me for who I am and it is because I am so outgoing and I dance and don’t care what people think. I dance and I love it. That is all that matters to me.

Many people have many beliefs, but I believe to dance like no one is watching because it made my life what I want it to be.