A Different Father Than I Knew.

Emily - USA

Why is it that those who you want to forgive prove to be the ones who you can’t? Why do we hold on to grudges that can make us feel bad? Why can we not open up our hearts to those who have done wrong to us?

When I was a little girl I found out that my dad Joseph was not my biological dad. My mom told me that my biological dad was a man named Greg. I had never really thought about the fact that someone other than my dad could be my father. Looking back today I can’t remember a time when I even noticed the major differences in the way we both look. He was my dad, not some man named Greg.

I believe that just because someone is not your parent biologically does not mean they are not your real parent.

About a year or so after my mom had my little sister, I met Greg for the first time. My mom had left my dad so we stayed with him for a little while. The last time that I can remember seeing Greg is when I was three years old and he left me, my mom, and my little sister on my grandmother’s carport. The one and only good thing I got from knowing him is I got to meet my older sister Lindsey and my older brother Layman.

I have grown up and still never met some of my family. According to Lindsey my grandfather on Greg’s side of the family wants very badly to meet me. In my heart I want to meet him also because I know that it is not his fault for Greg’s actions. It’s sad to know that I will not be able to meet him because he lives very close to where Greg lives. The main reason why I cannot see my grandfather is that I still hold a grudge against Greg for what he did to me at a young age.

Many times I have tried in my heart to forgive him but I don’t think that I will be ready to truly do that for a long time. Deep down though, I wonder whether or not he left for my own good. I look at my brother and sister and I see how lucky I was to be able to have a dad who cared about me. In a way I am extremely glad that I got to stay with my real dad. Maybe one day I will see sense and truly forgive Greg.

This is why I believe that just because someone is not your biological parent does not mean they are not your real parent.