Practice

Mason - Springdale, Arkansas

I was in the fourth grade and in my second year to play football. I was on the white Swepco team, and we easily overran our opponents in the opening game of the season. Being ten years old, we thought that we were “all that.” During the next week of practice, we slacked off and thought we didn’t need practice because we were so good. We lost our next to games.

I believe, as every football coach has yelled while we ran sprints, “practice like you’ll play!” In practice most believe that since we aren’t playing a real game why should we work as hard? If I am not pushing myself in practice, I won’t in a game, so I am basically quitting. If I work in practice as hard as I can, whether it is sprinting, running the sled, or bear crawls, I go all out. This is what will give me the extra boost of energy to finish the game.

This doesn’t only apply to sports. I have a small mowing business during the summer months. When I started out mowing just my own yard, I made it as perfect as possible. I tried to make my swipes as straight as a ruler. I attempted to hide as many of the unneeded lines like a robber his tracks. Even in the backyard I was deep in concentration. What does this have to do with practicing? When I finally got the privilege of mowing other people’s yard, I had trained myself to mow them straight and to hide unneeded lines. Thanks to the practice I got on my own yard, and I impressed my customers. By impressing my customers, I am still mowing most of those yards four years later.

I believe I can apply this to anything in my life, like faith for instance. I grew up in a Christian home, and I’ve been faithful my whole life. I think that since my parents taught me about my faith as a small child, I now know what a true relationship with Christ is and I can evangelize as I grow older throughout school. I believe that anybody that calls themselves a Christian can say stuff like, “I live a complete Christian life,” when they actually are only Christian-like at church. It appears as if they are leading a two-faced life. Well this doesn’t apply at all. Does it? By “practicing” my faith or how I act at church, I now know how to act in the real world with the people I love and am close to.

We all have different views in life. Practicing like you play should be a universal belief no matter what your view is. This is what I believe.