Rachael - Springdale, Arkansas

“No matter what happens, we’ll always be best friends.” That’s what I told Kalee, my best friend after she moved. Do you know what its like to loose your best friend, and not even know about it? I definitely learned, and believe, that you never know what you have until it’s gone.

We’d spend the whole day laughing at each other’s antics and jokes, but when it came down to something “serious”, Kalee was always there when I needed a shoulder to cry on. I would tell her about my so called “problems” and she would listen inventively, giving me any advice she could think of. Although I appreciated her advice and her company, I think I took it for granted in many ways.

One day, Kalee unexpectedly moved. She didn’t know about it until her mom told her to “pack her bags.” All I knew was that she had moved to some small town in Missouri and didn’t know when or if she was coming back. Had I just lost my best friend? Was I ever going to see her again? Had the day before been my last day with her, and I hadn’t even known it?

I never realized how much I depended on Kalee as a friend until she left. After she did leave, I didn’t ever talk at lunch, call anyone, or do anything outside of school because I had done those things with Kalee. It was like I was all alone and I couldn’t even tell my best friend about it.

I finally got to talk to her one night on the phone. She told me how she had to move to Webb City, Missouri because her mom wanted to be near family. Kalee told me she already missed Springdale and was really upset that she hadn’t known about it in advance. I tried to console her like she had done for me so many times, but I couldn’t find the words. I’d been waiting to her for almost two weeks and didn’t even know what to say. So many things had happened and all of them so quickly, but my mind was blank. All I could do was tell Kalee about things she had missed at school, trying to make her laugh and cheer her up like she had done for me in the past. She laughed with me like we always had; forgetting that a hundred miles separated us. I realized right then that she was my best friend and it was going to stay that was no matter what happened. I also realized that I had not fully appreciated her.

I believe that you never know what you have until it’s gone. Kalee was always my best friend, but I never realized how awesome she was or how much I depended on her until she left. She was my shoulder to cry on, my smile when I needed to laugh, and no matter what happens we’ll always be best friends.