Take pride in what you do.

Jeffrey - Irvine, California

Take pride in what you do! I believe people should take pride in what they do, and if they really want to do something, do it, and don’t let anyone hold them back.

I have been in sports since I was six, music since I was five. I am in the most advanced classes for my grade, and I continue with all of those challenges today. There was always that group of people that made fun of me because I played piano but I just ignored it and moved on. Same thing with basketball, people would say I wasn’t good but I ended up beating them in one on one later in the year because I never stopped practicing.

Sure enough, a couple years ago I started getting complements on my music capability and on my athleticism. When I was eleven, the high school co-coach told me he would want me on his team when I am older if I keep practicing, which I have. Also my piano teacher, band teacher, and percussion teacher have given me complements on how I could easily get a full-ride scholarship for playing music. My friends, family, neighbors, and teachers all give me complements on my academics, and I hope I get a scholarship for that too, just like my neighbor across the street.

Now that I am in Junior High School it has been even tougher keeping up with sports and music since I am in Geometry, Advanced English, Advanced History, and Spanish 1. I am trying my hardest to keep up the pace, and I never stop practicing, and practicing, and practicing!

Sure piano has its ups and downs and so do sports, but I’m proud of what I do. My parents never questioned my passion, and are always supporting me. Even when I am doing homework till 10:30, waking up in the middle of the night to play piano, and constantly bugging my dad to shoot ball with me, they still take pride in what I do, and I love them just for that!

Sure all of this is hard work but I believe it will all pay off in the end. I am hoping to get a masters degree in either business or engineering because I love math. I hope to stay fit and continue with sports for the rest of my life, and I would love to play the piano at the ceremony after my wedding when I am older. My dad and three of his friends sang at his wedding and I think that is pretty cool.

I hope to pass on this belief to my kids one day and I hope all the people reading this will continue with their dreams.