To Appreciate

Alex - Springdale, Arkansas

People always ask how dance teaches me to appreciate life. I always wondered why they asked that, because I thought it was obvious. In my experience, I was the only one who was thinking about it at that time. Which makes me feel special at times, but then again it turns out that other people in this world that are in need and I am not. I believe that dance teaches us to appreciate life.

My mother constantly told me that I was too needy or has the “Gimmies,” but now that I’m older, I understand. “The world doesn’t revolve around you,” is what I was told a great number of times by my family, teachers, and my friends who really care about me. I didn’t despise them because of it I thanked them for it because it actually does make me feel concerned about who I am and what I do in life.

Since I was I was a child, I have always loved to dance. I was a competitive dancer, and now I am on my school dance team. I have always loved to dance. Dance always inspired me to be what ever I wanted to. When I was depressed, I would always come to dance to express my feelings.

On April 19, 2008, I went to a dance competition in Little Rock, Arkansas. I didn’t dance in the Lyrical category but six of my friends did. I sat in the crowd waiting patiently to see my friends dance.

The first performance was a nine year old girl that didn’t have any hair, she had a bandana on. I automatically knew that she had cancer. The depressing song was about her. She started to dance, swiftly and then she glided threw the crowd and hopped back on to the stage. The other girls in the dance came out of the curtains and startled me in a way that I could never explain. They all had wigs on. They all had cancer. They acted out to help each other in the dance. Finally, the end of the dance came, and they all threw their wigs off into the crowd.

That dance left me in tears. My best friend’s dad looked at me and said to me, “that was an amazing dance.” I knew it was. As the group walked off the stage, I knew they would get “Top 1st.” Top First is the best dance and the team gets a ribbon and a trophy. I clearly saw that my friends were good, but the dance made me especially, if not the judges, think that it was the best lyrical dance I have ever seen.

On that one specific day, I learned a life lesson. I learned that when I have a certain item or person that I don’t really care about, I should appreciate them in all the ways that I can. I think that I should appreciate them even though others don’t care about them. This I believe.