Overcoming Obstacles

Katelyn - Ankeny, Iowa

I believe that I can overcome.

Everyone faces obstacles in their lives. Some are big, some small, and some will affect us for the rest of our lives. Mine is one that I don’t share too often. It is something that not many people have known about me unless they dig deep. Everything affects people differently, I guess.

As a little girl, I did not really have much of a father-figure. Not because it had to be that way, but because I think I wanted it that way. My mom and dad were separated when I was 2 years old, and my dad quickly remarried afterwards and pushed my brothers and me aside. My step mom was the stereo-typical step mother. I used to compare her to Cruella Deville and call her my step-monster. The first couple of years they were married, it was fine. Her kids were a lot of fun to hang out with and we did a lot of things together as a family. This only lasted a few years though. Soon, my brothers and I started to dread going over there. It had turned into something that felt like a punishment when we had to go there. Since my brothers were older, they were free to do more things, so they would not have to be there the whole time. I got pushed aside. Not by my brothers, of course, but by my Dad and step-monster.

My dad worked on Saturdays, most of the time he was not even there. When he was there though, he would go places with my step mom and leave me at there alone. But when he worked and I was there alone with my step mom it was a whole different story. She never had anything good or nice to say to me when I was there alone, but she was normal when my dad was around She would laugh and make fun of me when I walked by, or say some snood remark. She wouldn’t let me do anything, but yet she would always complain that I wasn’t doing anything. It got to the point where I would come home and have clean clothes that had been washed over there, and they would be ripped. She did and said a lot of ridiculous things like this to both my brothers and I. I was a total mess.

When I was about 14, I told my dad that I was NOT going over there anymore, no matter what anyone said. There was no way I was going through that crap anymore. My brothers and I finally got to sit down with him and tell him everything that had ever happened. We knew this would either break our relationship or make it stronger. Now that we see less of each other and we have everything out in the open, it has made us all closer… including my step mom. We will not forgive or forget, but just push aside. Life only happens once, why have enemies? I believe that this has changed me for the better, and I hope that other people can learn not to dwell on the bad things in life, but look for the good instead.

I know that I have overcome.