Snow Crash

Kim - Ankeny, Iowa
Themes: setbacks

When I was young, I have always wanted to be a cop. I thought they were cool, strong, and always ate doughnuts. I also believed that if they were around nothing bad could happen. That was until I turned eight years old.

It was December; snow covered the ground, and the air was a little chilly. My family and I were on our way home from school after dropping my sister’s friend off at her apartment. We were driving down the road, when the sun got in my eyes.

I remember before this that there was a cop behind us. I thought, “How cool is this, a police officer behind us!”

I was riding in the front seat with all my other siblings behind me, when I pulled my hat down. So, at this point all I could do was hear sounds. I heard a sharp screeching of the brakes being forced to suddenly stop. Then, I heard a crash and a pop. After this happened, I ripped off my hat and saw the inside of the truck covered in a white powder.

I panicked, and tried to open the door, but it wouldn’t budge. My mom grabbed me and held me in a tight hug, not letting me go. My family and I had gotten into a car wreck. The police officer driving behind us turned right as we got hit, so the cop had to turn around, and come back.

I remember when the officers had gotten us out; they took me to the police car and let me sit in the front seat. It was the coolest thing that ever happened to me before. There were a lot of monitors, dials, knobs, and other things that I have never seen before. When I looked behind me in there, I saw my siblings behind the wired window. I couldn’t help but laugh at them.

My family and I were taken to the old Mercy Medical Center to check for wounds. Nothing bad happened to us, but the old lady that hit us had died in the crash. My brother’s chin swelled up like Jay Leno’s. I only got a bloody nose from this accident, and my sisters only got rug burn. Nothing really happened to my mom.

Ever since this incident, I have never believed that nothing bad will happen around police officers again.