I believe…

Chester - Newport, Maine

This I Believe…

I believe in relaxing. I believe in taking it easy. I believe in cooling my heels, and I believe in promoting this kind of lifestyle. When the news of 19 dead in Iraq, 2 more banks being bailed out by the federal government with our taxes, or the gasoline price roller coaster becomes overwhelming, I need to close my ears, sit back, and take in all the good that still remains in this world. The changing of the leaves lets me know that the world is spinning a little differently now. While taking my little dog for a walk in the cool afternoon I see all the school children excited that the school day is done, by hooting and shouting with joy as they run along the street kicking piles of grass clippings in the neighbor’s yard. This makes all the stress dissolve away.

Who looks at clouds anymore? I do, sometimes even when I am driving home from class in my car. I drive with only the sound of the road as my music. The calming white noise of hard rubber on poorly paved Maine roads is my therapist. I take the turns with a little speed for my aggression and the long and strait bits a little slower for winding down and relaxing into my seat and letting all the worries and anxiety out. Silence can cure the woes of a long hard day by allowing the focus to shift to me and my conversation with myself. It gives me time to clean upstairs.

I turn off the television and sit in my chair by the window and listen to the quiet and barely audible sounds of Bach and Chopin on the radio, as I collect the warmth from the sun. With my little dog in my lap looking up at me with an almost thankful gleam in his eyes for the time we are spending together. He helps me to relax and evaluate my past and future doings. Petting him with a rhythmic pace helps the process along and also calms him .

With my forthcoming future as a nurse before me, I fear that the way I currently lead my life will change. I hope that I can use my knowledge of how I deal with stress with my future clients and patients. With all the stressors out in the world today, and with the addition of some sort of disease or illness, relaxing usually is not the first thing on the patient’s or the family members’ mind. When I let my mind race is when I do the most damage. With the ways I have learned to cope with stresses in my life, with regard to my experiences in the military, I think I could be a real benefit to at least someone out there. If I am, then I have done a good job.