I believe in younger sisters.

Melanie - 48240, Michigan

On the 29th of August 1992 my life changed forever. That was the day I welcomed my younger sister into my life. I hear stories of children becoming jealous of younger siblings when they come into the world, but that was an emotion that I never experienced. Seven years between us has brought many changes in our relationship, none of them negative.

When she was a baby I remember believing she was the most beautiful little girl I had ever seen. I relished in the fact that she followed me around like a lost puppy dog. She seemed to find everything I did entertaining, and loved me unconditionally every step of the way. I remember times where I converted the closet in my bedroom to a room for her, because I wanted to be around her as much as possible.

As I got older and more independent, I moved out of my parents home. I went through times where I made many mistakes, and hurt many people. Through all of my selfishness the one connection I kept was with my sister. I called home, and visited as much as possible. She was the one person on the earth that never judged me, and all she asked for in return was my love. Something very easy for me to give.

Now I am twenty three, finished with my youthful rebellion, and the relationship my sister and I have built has lasted every step of the way. The seven year age gap between us seems more like seven minutes. She is my best friend. I have in her a confidant, someone that not only looks up to me, but dispenses advice like she is my elder. I have the fortune of having my life experiences to help and guide her through her youth. Hopefully she will never make the same mistakes I did, but even if she does I will be there to help her through it every step of the way.

I believe in younger sisters because of the happiness they produce. My sister has brought me uncontrollable laughter, goofy faces, and other irreplaceable moments of pure joy that I would have never had without her. She tests my patience, and does so with such silliness that it does nothing but bring a smile to my face. I thank God for giving me my sister, I can’t imagine my life without her. I might have found love and camaraderie in other places, but I doubt it would be comparable to that between my sister and I.