I Believe in Down Home Country Cooking

Megan - West Lafayette, Indiana

Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, fresh green beans, and apple pie sounds like the perfect meal to me. My family sits down and eats dinner together almost seven nights a week, and because of this I believe in down home country cooking. Nothing has brought us closer or taught me more than down home country cooking.

Eating dinner together instilled in me the family values that I treasure to this day. My family members are the most important people in my life. Friends come and go, but family is forever. Jokes, stories, and secrets are all shared around the family table.

Sunday afternoons, after finishing in the barn, I love walking into our house. The smell of homemade chili fills the entire house. I take off my boots and Carhartts in the mudroom and wash up. Homework is done; chores are finished; all there is left to do is sit and relax with my family. We all file into the kitchen, grab a bowl of chili after a quick prayer, and head into the living room. My brother grabs the clicker and finds American’s Funniest Home Videos on TV. We sit, eat, talk, laugh, and listen.

After being at college for weeks, nothing beats going home for Mom’s down home country cooking. Down on the farm we eat “lumpy” potatoes and meat from the animals we raised. Vegetables straight from the garden and strawberries from the vine cannot compared to store bought produce. Homemade is the key word in everything that is served at our dinner table.

Family dinner at our house can be serious and heavy, or light and quite comical. One night at the table I asked my father if I could have a biscuit. Much to my surprise he replied, in a quirky, high pitched voice, “You want a rubber biscuit?” Milk shot out of my brother’s nose and across the table. I could not control my laughter either; I was having trouble breathing. My father then proceeded to sing a song, which was popular while he was in high school. In the middle of the song the singing stopped and the same quirky, high pitched voice asked “You want a rubber biscuit?” Moments like these taught me the real importance of down home country cooking.

Down home country cooking is the best thing that ever happened to me. God blessed me with an amazing family that taught me lessons and values that will continue to mold me into the person I am supposed to become. Family dinners taught me the importance of family and a place to call home. Honesty, integrity, and the true meaning of hard work are all things I learned at the family table. Mom’s down home country cooking and the occasional rubber biscuit shaped me into the person I am today. Down home country cooking and family values are a belief and tradition which will be passed onto my children. I wouldn’t trade down home country cooking for the world.