Sportmanship Rewards Others

Jared - Ankeny,IA, Iowa
Themes: sports

When I was a little boy my dad always used to tell me to do whatever I enjoyed to do. I played baseball, football, track, and basketball. I loved playing as many sports as I could. I believe that you should always be a good sport whenever you are playing sports.

When I was about twelve years old, my dad coached a baseball team wit all my friends on it, we played in many tournaments in different cities. We did really well up until the championship game. We played one of the hardest teams in the state. They beat us pretty bad and we were all down on our selves because we lost. My dad told us to keep our heads up but we knew that we didn’t play well at all.

The manager of the whole tournament came up to our team and gave us a medal and a banner for our accomplishments. When other teams got theirs, the manager gave them an award of good sportsmanship. Since we didn’t win the tournament we wanted that award for sportsmanship.

My dad and I had a talk that night about how we did and how I played. He told me that my game was on but my attitude needed to change so the other people can recognize it. The next few nights I thought about what we talked about and I spread the word to the other players.

The next few tournaments went by and we all focused on our game, attitude, and our good sportsmanship. Ever since we have been winning a lot of games and a lot of awards. My dad was proud of all of us.

Nationals were coming up and we really wanted to win that one. It was down in Key West, Florida. Our first game that we played was a very close one and came down to the wire. We ended up winning that one because the other team got thrown out of the tournament because the coaches were swearing at the umps and our coaches.

By the end of the nationals we got fourth place and received a medal. We were all happy that we placed that high. The manager of the tournament relayed all the information on how the teams did and at the end he announced the winner of the sportsmanship award. He told us that we got it because of our good attitude and respect for the game.

Ever since that day, sportsmanship has been a big part of my life when playing sports and other activities. I believe that I can change the way games are played by not having any sore losers.