Life is Not Always Fair

Alicia - Ankeny, Iowa

Around the time when I was in sixth or seventh grade, I wanted a cell phone so much. Some of my friends had started getting their first phones. They were so cool, and I felt like I needed one, too.

I remember always asking, always begging my parents for one. I told them if I cleaned my room, they would have to get me my own cell phone. But, of course, that didn’t happen. Almost all my conversations with my parents were about getting me a phone. I once was desperate enough that I asked my aunt to get me one!

My older sister, Laura, who never really did ask for anything too expensive, is two years older than me. When she was in eighth grade, she had gotten a cell phone for her birthday.

I was mortified. I had never remembered her asking once for a cell phone. I was the one who wanted it, not her. About an hour later, my parents sat me down and told me the reasons she had gotten a phone is because she was getting older and was now involved and school sports and if they needed to contact her for something they could.

I didn’t really want to try to understand why my parents had gotten her a phone, but I told myself that life is not fair.

Looking back at my attitude against my parents, and against my sister, I was pretty selfish. I didn’t think life was fair because I didn’t get one little piece of technology that I wanted, not needed. Unlike my sister, I wasn’t in school sports, and I was still in sixth grade.

Now I’m a junior in high school, and I have finally accepted that you don’t get everything you want in life and life isn’t fair. Like my fifth grade teacher said, Fair is where you take a pig and win a prize.