Even the Smallest Words can Affect People

Cody - Ankeny, Iowa

I believe that a lot people are often mean-hearted. I notice very harmful things being said all day long. Especially at my school, Ankeny High School. People are always putting other people down.

Even though you can’t see people’s true feelings about it, it truly hurts them. I find that just by saying some nice things in a day, from “you look nice” to “I love you”, it can make someone’s day so much brighter. When people are having a bad day, I like to know I can say something, no matter how little, to make a little bit of a difference to make their day better.

One time, I was having a really tough week. I was behind on schoolwork and my grades were going down, I was grounded from having a dirty room, and nothing seemed to be going right. I went to go hang out with my friends, and at the end of the night, one of them said to me, “Have a good night.” and it made me feel just a little bit better. It hit me. Just by saying something as minor as that, you could make someone feel better.

I thought about it even more, and I realized that if everyone made an effort to make other people feel better with compliments and stuff, instead of bombarding people with insults, a lot of people would be so much happier, and that would be a good thing.

Making others feel good about themselves is the best way to make yourself feel better, and putting other people down is just a horrible thing to do. There’s no better feeling than helping someone else have a better day. With all the suffering in this world, there needs to be nicer people out there. My belief is that people need to be nice, to bring out the kindness in the world. If people can eliminate cruel comments, and other forms of verbal abuse, that would be really cool.