What Toni Taught Me

Cassie - Ankeny, Iowa

As I stepped out onto the runway, the wind blew my tears down my face faster than I could pump them out. I looked over my shoulder and spotted my mom behind the tinted glass of the airport. I was on my way to my grandmas for the first summer after my grandpa had died and I was afraid it was going to make my summer less fun.

“Thank you for flying Delta Airlines. Oh, are you an unaccompanied minor?”

I nodded slowly, feeling like a two year old.

“Welcome aboard, would you like a complimentary soda on this four hour thirty seven minute flight to Atlanta, Georgia?” the cheery lady relied. “By the way my name is Sandy, and if I can do anything to make your flight more comfortable just push your call button located above your seat.”

“K,” I grumbled not really wanting to talk to this overly happy person.

I found my way to my seat and sat down only to have a little girl about seven plop down next to me.

“Hi! I’m Toni. I’m going to see my daddy. He doesn’t like my mommy.” She said getting teary.

“Well you sure know a lot about life. How old are you?” I asked

“ I’m nine. And I know a lot about life. My mommy says I’m really strong because my heart is with both my mom and my dad all at once. Even grown ups have a hard time doing that.” she stated.

Wow. This little girl knew so much about life, and she was only nine. I now believe that the heart is strongest when it’s loved by more people, even if it is a across the continent. She showed me that she already has so much love in her heart that she is wiser than most people and that I could become the same way.

“Would you like a pillow?” the cheerful Sandy asked as she made her way to our aisle.

“OOH I want one!” yelled Toni. She curled up with it, and eventually her tiny eyes closed. I just stared at her. I wish I could e as strong and brave as her. But she taught me that I can be as strong as her if I try.