Learning from odd sources

Sydney - ankeny, Iowa

I believe that pride comes before the fall.

I’ve been riding horses since I was three and one thing I’ve learned from that is the moment you thing your all hot stuff is the moment the horse chooses to put you back in your place. I’ve recently got a new eight-month-old baby horse named hope. I’ve already trained my three-year-old poa-gelding cookie to ride but he was already saddle broke. Hope knows nothing, so when they offered her to me for free I though this is great! I know how to train and she’s free so I can easily train her and then sell her for big bucks. Well I’ve had her for a week and so far she’s been a real eye opener. I’ve never tried to work with or train something as young as she is or as hard headed as she is. I thought well how different can she be…well a lot different. Hope learns different and is smarter and quicker than cookie ever was. Also cookie was orphaned as a baby and so he was bottle-fed and used to people being around him and listening to people so he was more mellow and docile. Hope is about the exact opposite. People think I’m crazy for taking on this big project but it’s going to be a great learning experience and so far she and many other horses before her has taught me a lesson in humility. This experience so far also has taught me that you have to be humble and not stupid enough to listen to people with more experience than I do about training young horses. So far I’ve learned a lot and hope is progressing quickly. I’ve had many other times when this motto has applied and I’ve started listening to it more because the more I work with horses the more it progressively gets more true. I am glad to have my horses in my life they are great life lesson teachers.

I learn from my horses