Bad Situations

Eric - Ankeny, Iowa

This I believe: If you ever get in a bad situation just confess to it, instead of trying to cover it up, because that’s how things usually get worse.

So one day during the summer some friends and I were hanging out at Charlie’s house. Blaine and I were bored so we decided to steal this Cody kid’s bike. At first we just took it to the park, then we put it up on top of the playground and got it stuck there, and then took a picture and sent cody a picture message with Blaine’s phone. I guess he still didn’t know where the bike was; we waited for about fifteen minutes, but nobody ever came so we decided we should go have some more fun.

I was going to slowly take the bike down, then Blaine said why don’t we throw it down. We threw it off the playground but a pedal and the spoke got caught in the ladder. The pedal twisted slightly and the spoke got extremely bent. We laughed at first then realized we had to fix it otherwise we’d have to buy Cody another bike.

Blaine ran back to my house and grabbed a hammer, then we hammered everything back into place. This started to make it even worse, and the spoke was bent in one direction at once spot and another in a different. After about thirty minutes we got the bike in working condition; the chain was really messed up and if you went too fast it would twist of, but it worked for the time being.

We put Cody’s bike back by Charlie’s house and then left it there. We watched as cody biked home; thankfully he didn’t notice anything wrong and we laughed in relief. I spent a lot of time that day and the following worrying about what would happen if Cody noticed how messed his bike was.

This wasn’t the first time i’d been in a situation like that; I’m good at making a bad situation worse, especially when I’m with friends. Most of the times I got in trouble, far worse trouble then I would have been if I had just come clean in the beginning.

Cody never found out about his bike and I never plan to tell him, but it’s always been a good reminder that when you’re in a bad situation, never try to cover it up.

The consequences of your actions may seem bad, but if you continue to try and cover up bad things you’ve done you’ll usually just end up in worse trouble.