Popularity is a State of Mind

Valerie - McCune, Kansas

What do people think of when remembering those good old high school days? Most people probably remember good times with the friends in their clique. People often recall the different cliques within their high school, from the nerds with their high-waisted suspenders and oversized spectacles, to the most popular kids in school, whom practically ooze of coolness. Popularity is one of the major concerns when it comes to high school life, but what does it really mean to be popular? Popularity is defined as “the admiration, approval, or acceptance of somebody or something by people in general or by a particular group of people.” Popularity can be a sensitive subject for some people. Upon hearing the word “popularity,” most people picture the beautiful blonde bombshell floating down the hallway in her own personal spotlight, turning every head as she passes. This is the sterotypical picture of popularity, of course. Perhaps not everyone wants to be considered popular by high school standards, but the truth is that everyone wants to be well-liked. To some people, popularity just comes naturally, like for the previously mentioned blonde bombshell. Others, like the typical brunette, freckle-faced girl-next-door, for instance, have to work to gain popularity, or so they think. Whether popularity just comes naturally or not at all, everyone sometimes wonders, “What is the secret? How do people become popular?” Contrary to popular belief, it is not the clothes, nor the hair. It doesn’t matter how much money there is in one’s pocket. It doesn’t even matter with which clique one is associated. The secret to popularity is that there is no secret. I believe that popularity is simply a state of mind. Popular people feel good about themselves on the inside; they are confident and content. The truth is that when one accepts whom they are on the inside, others will gradually accept them too. When one is truly content with themself, they feel more comfortable in their skin. Thus, others will feel more comfortable around that person and begin to accept their differences, whatever they may be.

I believe that if there is any person out there who really does not feel well-liked, it is probably because they do not like themselves as much as they should. When these people can finally look at themselves and say, “Hey, I’m great,” they can accept the way they are, and others will recognize the change. The concept of popularity is not so complex after all.