there is a silver lining to every thing

Megan - Ankeny, Iowa

Most people relate death with grief and sorrow. In every other death I have had in my life has been that way, but the only deaths that I ever had encountered were my great relatives. But when my friend died it was different. I was beyond depressed. I felt like the universe was going to collapse in on itself. The feelings inside of me just wanted to sit in the corner and scream.

As the week of her death progressed the days got easier, I still dreaded her funeral, but the nights were unbearable. I would lie awake at night, just asking God, “why?” How could he take away such a pure soul away from everything it loved and treasured? I can’t remember one thing she said or did to hurt anyone. She always found a way to help others and keep her friends happy.

The day of the funeral arrived I was terrified. I knew my other friends would be there to help; nonetheless, I was still scared of what I was to find. A whole church full of tear stained faces, the heavy presence of grief and death, the looks on her family’s faces, and worst of all was her small, fragile body laying in the soft, delicate satin that would hold her forever.

As the priest and her family started talking the sounds of crying stopped, but the sounds of sniffles remained. When they were giving their speeches they all mentioned the same general things: she was caring, brave, and she knew exactly who she was. During their speeches I realized that, that is what killed her. She jumped into the water to save a struggling friend. In a split second she showed her true colors and did the ultimate act of kindness.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. It has taken a while to see the silver lining of this tragedy. When she was still alive she taught me a lot, but I never thought that her death would teach me also. She taught me selflessness. As long as I keep following in her beliefs her memory will still live among us.