Words can hurt

Carly - Ankeny, Iowa

Intro: For this I believe Carly speaks about her story about being in grade school having to deal with betrayal, rumors, and judgmental people all around her. She lived days knowing the people around her judged her without knowing the real truth about her struggle in middle school. She believes that even though words can be painful it is important to never let people bring you down no matter how hard they try. Here is Carly with her essay for This I believe.

I believe that a person’s self esteem can be greater than hurtful words. It is hard to deal with betrayal and rumors when going through grade school. I found out who my true friends were. I found out how so little words can hurt me. What I learned is that I’m stronger than the hurtful words people say to me.

Going through middle school I started to make more friends other than the ones I have been with in elementary school. In middle school I met a lot of new people from other schools and became best friends with a couple of girls.

I had stomach problems during sixth grade. Every day I went to school with an upset stomach. I sometimes skipped school or ask to go to the bathroom just so I can relieve the pain. I explained to my friends what was going on, thinking that they would not make a big deal about it until I realized that telling was a huge mistake. My friends ended up spreading around the school that I was bulimic.

Hearing that people were thinking that I was bulimic hurt me and made me lose trust in my new friends that I had made. I was more frustrated than hurt. I did not really care what people thought about me because only I would know the real story. I was never bulimic.

After hearing the rumor I went home and explained to my mom how that people were saying that I had an eating disorder. My mom took me into the doctor and gave me medicine to take that would help control the acid in my stomach. My stomach problems gradually got better and I could finally go throughout the day without my stomach aching. The problem after that was realizing that I could never trust my friends again.

People cannot imagine how just a little rumor or small words can hurt someone.

I forgave even though I was still hurt. It was one of those things out of my life that has made me a strong person. I learned that I can trust no one, but will always know that my family will always be there for me to always have my back. I believe even through betrayal and rumors that a person’s confidence can overpower hurtful words. No matter what anyone says about me, it will never bring me down.