I Believe in the Importance of Having Pets

Nathan - Vancouver, Washington

There is no doubt in my mind that animals have a positive effect in our lives in more ways than one. It doesn’t matter who you are or what kind of life you have; it is proven that those who have pets tend to be happier, be less depressed, and also act more lively. Ever since I was young I’ve had pets of some kind or another; dogs, cats, birds, gerbils, you name it. No matter how what mood I was in, the way I was feeling, or how I looked my pets have always been there for me greeting me with a wagging tail, an affectionate “purr” or chirps of joy. This is why I believe in the importance of having pets.

In my mind, I believe one of the main reasons animals were put on this earth with us is for a type of companionship that is beyond the type we have with fellow human beings. People, in general, act different when they around animals than when they are with people and in turn end up having a different kind of relationship with animals. I know when I’m with one of my pets, or another animal, I am less worried about what they will think about me, if I will say anything stupid, and most importantly if they like me or not. With pets, we are able to be ourselves and have relationships without all the stress and work that goes into those relationships we have with other humans. When we have animals we are able to be offered something in our lives that is very beneficial and important to us.

For humans it seems we are constantly trying to please someone or something for one reason or another. In some cases we are trying to please our friends by being “cool”, or our parents by getting good grades, or even later on in life when we are pleasing our boss by doing a great job, or even pleasing a spouse by being a good husband or wife. So it feels good when for once in your life you are not the one trying to please everybody. Our pets live to please us and that’s especially apparent when they’re doing tricks for us or sitting on our laps.

Yes, I know my pets may be a bigger part of my life than the average person but that’s still not to say everyone can benefit from having a pet or two. Being alone can cause feelings of loneliness and depression and that split second you see your pet again those are instantly overcome. For the money you put down in the adoption fee, the vet bills, the countless bags of food, and numerous toys, the payback you get from having a pet is worth more than any amount of cash and the memories you have with them last you for a lifetime.