Mother’s Intuition

Sharon - Mound Valley, Kansas

Mother’s Intuition

I never knew what it meant when my Mother and Grandmother would speak of a Mother’s Intuition. I have a little knowledge of its meaning now, if only from my own experience. I recall my mother telling me a story of when at the age of four she and her siblings went with their mother to enjoy a picnic at a nearby river. While the other kids played some distance away and their mother busied herself fixing lunch, she played in the water apart from the rest of the group. Stepping into a deep hole, she became completely submerged. Opening her eyes in panic all she could see in the dark murky water was her mother’s bathing suit clad body walking towards her at a swift pace. In a quick motion, she was plucked from the water by her mother. I can hear my grandmother saying” I don’t know what I would have done if I had not got that feeling in my gut”. I know that feeling; I believe I experienced it with my son Nathan two-years old. Blue eyes, round features, still a baby in my eyes. He ran a fever one day. I gave him Motrin and he was back to himself. I went outside to finish up some weed-eating, minutes later I had a feeling come over me starting in my gut. I immediately set the weed-eater down and headed for the house. Finding my son on the floor in my living room with his eyes rolled back in his head and his jaw tightly clinched sent a chill down my spine. My whole world stopped as I dialed 911. I performed CPR myself on my two-year old son Nathan with the help of the emergency operator. The EMTs in their white uniforms converged on my front porch to help bring my little boy back from the brink of what I do not want to imagine. A high fever caused his seizure that day. He fully recovered amazingly, I take no credit in this scenario, and I believe it was Mother’s intuition that swept over me that day.