Infinite Oblivion

Charles - Mound Valley, Kansas

Infinite Oblivion

There is not so much as a shadow of a doubt in my mind that all that our senses experience in this world (and beyond) is the creation of an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent creator, God. Early in our childhood, we begin to ask the questions: where do we come from? Why are we here? What is the meaning of life? Since there are no definitive answers to these and other questions regarding life as we know it, we often settle into one or more of the conventional beliefs, which are prevalent in our particular environment, without deeply considering the consequences of our beliefs. For me, the proof of our God created, intelligent design is evident in every function, of every one of my senses. I cannot accept the popular theory of a big bang in empty space, resulting in the accidental or coincidental creation of entire galaxies, solar systems, and planets, complete with some type of basic life form, which will evolve into complex functioning, thinking human beings. For me this thinking invites a wide range of additional questions to remain unanswered concluding with: why in the world could any thinking human being accept any part of this ridiculous nonsense. To my thinking, it is unconscionable that so many people in recent history are willing to place their trust into a far fetched theory of our origin, which offers neither hope, nor consequence. I say recent history as Charles Darwin’s theories weren’t published until 1859, which, by comparison on a scale of previous history, can certainly be considered recent. If you ever wonder what the consensus was before Charles Darwin’s theory regarding our origins, all you have to do is consider the wars fought for the cause of religious domain prior to 1859, and since. There seems to have been a universal agreement that there is an intelligent designer, somewhere, who is responsible for all that is seen, and experienced here on earth. Even Big Bang supporters conclude there was a point at which our universe began. However, to support their theory there must be allowance made for an expansive amount of time for all of the vast unknowns to transpire, wholly by chance. We must, therefore, be willing to believe that the center of our solar system, the sun, has been perpetually burning at a consistent, perfect life sustaining temperature, for millions, nay, billions of years, without changing or burning out, while everything around it revolves and evolves. Sitting around a campfire adding wood to the dying embers, I must conclude that naturalists do believe in the supernatural after all. Why, then, is it so hard to believe in the existence of a supreme, supernatural being, who created all that is, and all that is contained therein. I ask myself, “why would anyone be willing to risk an eternity for a belief, wherein there is no hope, no consequence, no God?” The tradeoff is an eternal existence far greater than anything we can now imagine, for infinite oblivion.