To Show Love for Others

Christine - USA

To Show Love for Others

In my short lived life, I have always felt the desire to help that of another’s life. Every living being deserves the right to be respected, to be equally accepted and to be loved. For this reason, I believe the life of another living being is as important as mine and should be given the same basic necessities of life that I have been given. Although I have been taught this a several amount of times, either by my Catechism teachers or my parents’ ever-so-gruesome lectures, it did not hit me until I experienced it myself.

It all happened when I made the decision to volunteer at a nursing home. While I registered to volunteer every Saturday, a staff member told me that there was “a lack of volunteers.” I was not surprised. Who would want to deal with “crazed old fools” and deal with smelling human wastes every here and there? However, I realized that those crazed old fools were my new second family.

I was headed towards the bathroom, when I saw an old Hispanic woman. She was aged around seventy years old and had difficulty walking with her cane in the long hallway. It looked as if the old Hispanic woman were taking her first baby steps, about to break down on the ground. I could not do anything more other than run to her and help the old Hispanic woman get to her destined location. As we were walking, the Hispanic woman said to me, “Ahora tu estas mi niña”, meaning today you are my daughter in Spanish. Something I would never have had expected.

The best thing I learned about helping an individual is not only did I impact someone, but that someone also had an impact on me. I realized being given the title of daughter from a total stranger showed me that helping someone, no matter what the deed, would be gratefully accepted.

I believe that the greatest deed of them all is to show love and care to another human being, especially to the less fortunate. My experience at the nursing home has made me conclude that others will greatly appreciate what you have to offer them. I will continue to share my love to others whether it be a friend, a family member or even a complete stranger.