More Than A Sport

Amy - Manchester, New Hampshire
Themes: sports

I Believe…

Ever since I have been ten years old I have been playing the game I love, basketball. Instantly basketball and I became best friends and fit together like peanut butter and jelly. Along our lengthy road basketball has taught me thing, let me achieve the greats high, allowed me to enjoy the feeling of Christmas morning, and was my ticket out of reality every time my Nikes touched the hardwood.

The court is not just 94 feet of hardwood to bounce a ball on, but also a classroom to learn life’s essentials; leadership, communication, competitive drive, and how to use your head. Bringing all four of these essentials together makes a great player and person. Life has leaders who communicated by using their head with a competitive drive to be on top.

As a teenager I’ve seen a diverse group of people from alcoholics to drug addicts. These people use substances to get their high, I lace up my Nikes. My greatest high was last summer. Two seconds left down by two it was our ball. There is only enough time to catch and shoot. My teammate passes to me and I let it rain. The buzzer sounded and the ball made a swish sound through the net. I became the hero and nothing felt better.

When you have a center twice your size running full speed out of control, you think get out of the way. Instead you hold your ground and let them run into you taking one for the team. My opponent receives a foul and we get the ball back.

Christmas morning is the best morning for children who believe in Santa Clause. When I play defender I get the anxious feeling back and nothing feels better. Stealing the ball feels exactly like opening your favorite gift Christmas morning.

Last but not least is how basketball plays the role of a ticket out of reality. Having the worst day, but for the entire 40 minutes nothing matters. Prepared for what will happen next there is not time to think who broke up with me or if I failed the test. Basketball is a world of mystery and I love getting on the ride.

Basketball is just a game to many, but it brings more to me. Playing the role of teacher, adrenaline rush, excitement of Christmas morning, and my ticket out of reality every time I touch the 28.5 leather ball. I believe basketball is more than a sport; basketball is a player’s life.