I Choose to Believe in God’s Spirit

Brian - O` Fallon, Missouri

I believe that the awe inspiring beauty and order that I see in nature was created intentionally, and is sustained by a loving force that I call God, but is also rightly called Jehovah, Allah, Brahman, Great Spirit, or The Way. God’s Essence or Spirit is the energy that is infused in all matter (E = mc2) and cannot be destroyed, only changed or dispersed. God’s Spirit is also the force that works in conjunction with matter to animate it and give it life. I also believe that God provided the Natural Laws by which matter must operate, and are still being discovered by scientists today.

God’s Spirit, present in all matter, is also the source of all Love, Wisdom, Generosity, Respect, Humility, Temperance, Peace, Integrity, Mercy, and Forgiveness. To the extent that a creature, person, family, institution, society, or religion is conscious of this Spirit and chooses to live in accord with its whisperings, it represents God in the world. To the extent that these entities choose to act in opposition to these qualities with Hate, Recklessness, Greed, Malice, Arrogance, Excess, Hostility, Dishonesty, Cruelty, and Blame, they represent Evil in the world.

As living creatures develop greater consciousness of themselves and God’s Spirit, they also bear the awesome opportunity and responsibility of choice. People can either make choices in accordance with God’s Spirit and create good consequences, or make choices in opposition to God’s spirit and create bad consequences. These consequences flow outward from the actor, much like the ripples of a stone being dropped in a pond, and have effects on the world around them. These effects interact with the effects of other decisions so that daily life often looks like the chaotic surface of a pond when it’s raining.

However, even amidst the chaos of daily life, God’s Spirit is always with us, quietly and gently working within the Natural Law, reminding us to make good choices. Our challenge is to stay connected with God’s Spirit and stave off things that distract from it or contradict with it, such as the demands of our Ego. Luckily, we can try to model our lives after wonderful people who have lived in accordance with God’s spirit, such as Jesus Christ, Buddha, St. Francis of Assisi, Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Theresa, and Martin Luther King, Jr. to name a few.

After considering how to apply these ideas to my own life, I believe that I am called to:

· Think, act, and speak in accordance with God’s Spirit

· Uphold the beauty of lifelong Love, Commitment, and Friendship with my wife, Elizabeth

· Be a Loving, Committed father to children and model God’s Spirit to them

· Help to create a noble society that reflects God’s Spirit; in particular, advocate for those who do not have a reasonable opportunity to meet their needs.