Tai - Hempstead, New York

This essay was hard for me to write. When I asked myself what I believe, I couldn’t pick one single topic. I sat and ponder for an answer to the question for a couple of days. A light bulb finally popped into my head. I believe in family. Family is not only a group of people that share the same blood but a group of people that have a bond with one another that is unbreakable. Family are the people that give each other support, love, and care. My family made me the person that I am today. If my parents did not show that they cared about my education and my well being, right now I would probably be in a gang, a teenage mother, in the penitentiary and not at Siena College.

Currently I live with my mother and my stepfather. My parents are the driving force behind me. They support me every step of the way and lead me into the right direction. As it is fairly easy for teenagers in my neighborhood to get “caught up.” Get caught up as to where they get involved with gangs, using and selling drugs, dropping out of high school and not using their potential to excel in life. Reason being is that they don’t have any family support. No one to guide them because their parents did the same things when they were teenagers. It just keeps continuing the cycle.

Now lets go to the other side of my life. My biological father has four children including me. I call him my “sperm donor.” He does not deserve the title of a father because he is not apart of my life. In the dictionary it states that a father gives continuous care and protection to a child. I can’t give you one story or a moment in my life when my biological father has done anything for me. He has miss every birthday, graduations, award ceremonies, etc.

My older brother and I live with our mothers. My younger sister and brother live with my father. My brother is 16 years old and is currently in a street gang. My sister is 17 years old and she has a 5 month old son. As you can see my “sperm donor’s” parenting skills are not the best, nevertheless to say. This story of my sister and brother is everyday life.

Since I can’t go back into the past and fix my own family. I decide to hopefully guide the present into the right future. By this I mean helping today’s youth to see their potential and not fall into the life of crime, poverty, and a dreams of “I wish.” That is why I am apart of the Big Brothers Big Sisters Mentoring Program and for the next four years I will change a child’s life. That is why I volunteer at the Boys and Girls Club of Albany to hopefully get teens on the right track. I know I can’t change the world but I can a change a life.