Kindness Can Change The World

Smitha - Minnetonka, Minnesota

I believe that kindness is the golden chain by which society is bound together. I strongly believe in this statement from Johann Wolfgang Goethe. When we are kind to others, it helps develop inner happiness in us. One kind action leads to another.

There are many different ways to be kind. Kindness can be expressed through things such as using kind words when greeting and speaking to someone. I remember that when I was about seven years old, there was a small park near my home. I used to go there quite often to play. There were not that many people in the park, but there used to be a group of elderly people from an old age home walking in the park most of the time. I usually talked to them. I used to ask them how they were and things like that. In a few years my parents decided that we were moving to a different place. As I told the elderly people that, they told me that they will miss me lot, and that I reminded them of their grandchildren who lived far away from them. They told me that they liked talking to me a lot, and they felt really happy seeing me. I realized that people can be happy by expressing kindness through speaking.

Kindness can be also expressed through charity. I believe in giving to people in need. It can be anything given such as food, money, and clothes. A few years ago, my family and I went to India. My sister and I wanted to see a village, so my mom decided to take us to my great grandfather’s village. The village people were really friendly. I talked to the children, and I asked them questions about things such as school. After talking a while, I noticed a little girl walking quietly so I asked her what grade she is in. She told me that she couldn’t see the chalkboard properly so she didn’t go to school. I told them that she probably needs glasses. Before we left the village, we gave the little girl’s parents money to see the doctor and money to buy the glasses. It makes me happy knowing the fact that the little girl can go to school, have an education, and see the world like other people. I feel happy knowing the fact that the recipient of any charity can have an easier day.

I also believe in being kind to animals. A few months ago I told my parents that we should keep a birdfeeder outside our home because a lot of birds were having trouble finding food. My parents and I are very happy in doing this. It is so wonderful to see all the different types of birds the seeds attract and as well as the squirrels.

I believe that kindness has the power to change people. We should always use our every opportunity to be kind.

I believe that kindness can change the world.