People Are My Country

Courtney - Apache Junction, Arizona

I believe in my country.

I may not believe in my government, for all the wrong the people who run have caused, but I love my country like I love my brother.

Without it, I feel as though I may die.

When you see someone from another country, you think, they must be European, African, Hispanic, Asian, German, Russian, Japanese or Javanese. But when they see you, they think, American.

We have fallen so far from what we used to be. We have fallen from our holier-than-thou high horse, and we’re ready.

We’re ready to change. To face the consequences of our actions. Because I also believe it is our fault. That we can’t just blame everything on the people in power, simply on the basis that we forgot our part in running our country.

The American people are supposed to be alongside their government, to keep it in check and make sure we do not fall into the depths of tyranny and fascism like so long ago. We are the back bone behind our nation, but the spine has been missing several links.

I will fight to the death for the people, for my country. But never will I raise a hand against another human being if my government so orders, unless my government are the people fighting right next to me, helping me and supporting me.

Not unless my government is us. Me, you, and all the people living on the streets, living on the boulevards, or living like me, poor yet happy. Poor, yet able to smile and yearning to help.

So. I believe in myself. I believe in you. I believe that everyone is capable of the good I see in them.

And I believe that we, my fellow Americans, are the only ones able to change our country, our government, and make it ours again.

I may be young, inexperienced and foolish. But I’ve been embittered like every other American wants to be.

And I want us to shine through that, and reach up, and take what’s rightfully ours once more.

Let us seize it. America is not the land, the neatly dotted lines called borders. America is her people, standing up proud again, ready to be free and strong and brave.

I believe in every one of you, every one of my fellow citizens, be you legal or not. Therefore, I believe in my country.

I believe. Lord, do I believe.